I was not sure if Ashwin will like omapodi ( sev). He loved it and called it noodles. We were surprised he called it noodles since he has not tasted noodles and we have not made it at home. A hint of bishop seeds is what gives this savory snack an amazing flavor.
Bishop seeds – ½ tsp, soaked in water and ground
Garbanzo flour – 2 cups
Rice flour – 2 T
Salt to taste
Water to knead dough
Oil for deep frying
- Soak bishop seeds in warm water for 30 minutes and grind to a fine paste.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Strain the bishop seeds paste into the flour. You can add some water to the paste and strain. We don’t want the seeds in the flour.
- Add water and make soft pliable dough.
- Use the small holes plate in the murkku press and directly squeeze in a circular motion into the hot oil.
- Deep fry till it become golden yellow in color. Make sure it does not become too brown.
- This dough should not rest for too long. Heat oil to deep fry and start making the dough and fry right away