When the three of us were divvying up recipes to cook from the cook book, the one recipe we really wanted to try was Pita Bread. We have heard some folks say it is a breeze to make, while others say it is difficult to make. Marlena wrote the recipe beautifully and it seemed like any home cook can make this. It is kind of like Naan, you will hear folks say you need a tandoor oven. And we vehemently deny that and say we can replicate making Naan in a home kitchen. What was challenging was if we can get to make pocket pitas. Malrlena in the cook book says, there are different kind of pita breads, the soft ones like we made, the pocket versions and thick pita breads. So a big sigh of relief !
Yeast – 1, 7g rapid rise
Warm water – 1 cup, approx
All purpose flour or half & half of whole wheat & AP flour – 4 1/2 cups
Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – 2 tsp
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water ( use some from the 1 cup we will be using)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour along with the oil and stir it all together until it forms a stiff dough
- Coat the dough with oil.
- Cover the dough with a moist cloth and let it rest in a warm place for at least 30 minutes.
- Knead the dough again until smooth and allow it to rest for an hour until doubled in volume.
- Divide the dough into 10- 12 portions.
- Equally divide the dough and roll between your palms to form 10-12 round balls
- Flour the surface and roll out each ball until you have a circle, 7-8 inches in diameter (1/2 “thick)
- Heat an iron skillet and when the skillet is hot, place one piece of the flattened dough and cook for 30-40 seconds.
- Turnover and cook on the other side for a minute.
- You will see large bubbles appear, turn it over again, when it puffs up again, use a clean towel and press the bread where bubbles form. Cook each bread for roughly 2-3 minutes.
- Wrap the pita bread in a towel, stacking one above the other until they are done and ready to serve.
Serve hot with the grilled chicken. Oh, you definitely want to check the grilled chicken out. Few ingredients, great flavor easy to prepare even in week nights.