This is influenced by the famous Kerala Kadala curry. Here I am using ingredients I have and readily available in most kitchens.
The trick to cooking a flavorful curry, is to cook with a heavy bottom pan on a low to medium flame. Let it simmer until desired consistency and done.Jump to Recipe
Chickpea Curry with Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3 Whole Cardamom
- 1/2 Cup Finely chopped onion
- 1 Cup Finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 tsp Minced Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 3 Cups Garbanzo Beans or 2 14 oz Cans
- 3 Cups Finely chopped Spinach or use baby spinach
- 1 Can Coconut Milk 12- 14 oz can
- 1 tsp Salt
- Heat the tbsp of oil in a pan and when the oil is moderately hot, add whole cardamom pods. When the oil starts to shimmer, it's an indication that the oil is ready for your spices.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent. Next stir in tomatoes and cook until it softens or loses it shapes.
- Stir in ginger and garlic and fry for a few minutes. If it sticks to the pan, add a teaspoon of water
- Add all the ground spices and stir for a few seconds
- Add rinsed garbanzo beans, spinach, coconut milk and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes
- Serve warm with cumin rice, roti or naan